Do odors tend to linger inside your Ocean Isle Beach home? Are you bothered by smells and haven’t been able to find a way to rid your home of them for good? Air purifiers are a type of indoor air quality equipment that is said to eliminate unwanted odors from indoor spaces. A+ Heating & Cooling – Electrical shares how they work and answers the all-important question: do air purifiers get rid of smells?
True or False: Do Air Purifiers Get Rid of Smells?
Whole-home air purifiers are appliances that are installed to work with a home’s HVAC system. They are installed along the supply or return duct so that air circulates through the air purifier as it travels through the heating and cooling system. Fans draw air into the unit and the methods used to extract contaminants and remove unpleasant odors depend on the type of air purifier in use.
- Most air purifiers use a media filter, an activated carbon filter, or a HEPA filter (high-efficiency particulate air) to trap particle pollutants and allergens that can cause indoor odors. The types of unpleasant odors addressed will depend on the type and efficiency of the filter.
- Some air purifiers incorporate ionization to better attract airborne particles and trap them within the filter.
- The best air purifiers use ultraviolet light to neutralize allergens and pathogen particles in the air to prevent further bad odors.
Types of Odors Air Purifiers Can Treat
If you’re wondering if air purifiers get rid of bad odors, you’re probably concerned with certain smells in particular, perhaps due to an existing odor problem in your home. Depending on the type of air purifier you install in your home, these devices have demonstrated efficacy in removing indoor odors such as:
- Pet odors
- Tobacco smoke
- Cooking odors
- VOCs (volatile organic compounds)
- Air fresheners
Benefits of Air Purifier Installation
Many homeowners are concerned regarding if air purifiers remove odors for various reasons. For some, unpleasant odors in your home are simply embarrassing or unpleasant. While for others, constant exposure in the home can cause uncomfortable physical symptoms. You might want to consider installing an air purifier in your home if you have family members that have allergy symptoms or asthma.
Odor control aside, there are other great benefits to installing an air purifier in your home. These advantages include:
- Cleaner living spaces. Air purifiers with filtration remove particles from circulation. These pollutants like pet dander and mold spores can cause allergy symptoms for those who are sensitive. Without air purification in your home, these pollutants settle in rooms throughout your home, causing surfaces to appear dusty or dirty. Using an air purifier can help your home stay cleaner in between chores, slowing the buildup of dust and other particulates.
- HVAC system protection. By removing particles from the air, an air purifier also benefits your home’s HVAC system. The furnace’s filter is meant to trap particles and keep them out of the HVAC system. However, air purifiers help with filtration, which gives the HVAC filter a longer lifespan. Air purifiers work to keep more contaminants out of your HVAC equipment, helping these systems operate more efficiently and last longer.
- Healthier air. Some air purifiers prevent the spread of illness throughout a home by neutralizing harmful pathogens like viruses and bacteria. The use of an air purifier can help your family remain healthy throughout the year.
Air Purifier Installation in Ocean Isle Beach
Do air purifiers remove odors? Some do, depending on the technology. To ensure your new air purifier has the ability to tackle concerning odors in your home, work with an HVAC specialist to find the right system for your needs. Contact A+ Heating & Cooling – Electrical today to learn more and explore air purifiers for your home.